X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGA - 10g riparium

Hi everyone!

So I have a bad case of BGA (cyanobacteria) in my 10 g riparium:

I was thinking of cleaning out the maximum I can. Then doing a blackout.

Since its a riparium with a single betta I have the luxury of pulling out the single crypt in there. Then I can cover the aquarium while leaving the riparium plants their lights.

I'm thinking the root cause of the BGA is the fact that I probly have two much light (two 23 Watts daylight CFL bulbs with industrial reflectors), not enough nutrients (root tabs in the riparium planters but nothing else ) and not enough current.

In the future, after the mega clean up and black out, I think I will up the water change schedule and add a tiny bit of ferts on something like a weekly dose. I don't wanna add more water flow since I have a betta in there.

What do you guys think ?

Thaks in advance!
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    33 g from A to Z
    10 g riparium 20 gallon dirted tank

You've hit upon all the usual remedies but consider using them one at a time.

I would go in this order:
    1. Test nitrates, adjust as necessary
    2. Increase flow
    3. Increase CO2 (if applicable)
    4. Change ferts
    5. Increase light
    6. Do a blackout
    7. Go nuclear as a last resort and use antibiotics.
    "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Working...
    X