spotted algae

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spotted algae

Can someone please tell me how to control the spotted algae. About every two weeks I'm having to clean glass. What a pain in a**. I don't even know where to start. I just did a good cleaning about two weeks ago and its back. it has been a problem for some time. its all over my anubias. I also have a little bit of fuzz on my jungle val.
    Any advise would be great.

Welcome to APE!

Can you tell us a little about your mini eco system? If we could know a little more about your tank we can get a better idea of what your tank is like. As much as we would love to provide an easy fix its a lot more complicated than one would think. With so many constantly changing variables in a planted tank it could be a number of things.

Any photos you can share with use?
    sigpic"We build the worlds best co2 systems, one at a time"

Comment

Didn't know what info to give. But here we go. 46 gal bow front. Marineland led fixture. Co2 comes on at 9am, blue lights comes on at 11am bright comes on at 12. Bright goes off at 8 pm, blue goes off at 9 pm. Dosing 5 ml pps pro every day. Need to figure out how to down load photos.

Comment

How long has the tank been established? Also -when you say "blue lights", what type of lighting are we talking about?
        Nearly every tank I've ever had has gone through about a couple week long period of GSA, which normally subsides as the tank "settles" with age. The only ever times I've had it persist is with a significant imbalance with Nitrate:Phosphate(where phosphate is low), or too a little to long a photo period.

Comment

Ditto. OF has enough material to write a thesis on the subject.

Originally posted by onefang View Post
          How long has the tank been established? Also -when you say "blue lights", what type of lighting are we talking about?
          Nearly every tank I've ever had has gone through about a couple week long period of GSA, which normally subsides as the tank "settles" with age. The only ever times I've had it persist is with a significant imbalance with Nitrate:Phosphate(where phosphate is low), or too a little to long a photo period.
          "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

My tank has been well established for a good year. As far as the blue light I mentioned. I have the 36" marineland 1w white and rgb 3w. The blue is the rgb. I know how to check my nitrate but how would I check phosphate.

Comment

Originally posted by ukamikazu View Post
              Ditto. OF has enough material to write a thesis on the subject.
              LOL.. yeah I seem to have had a run of tanks that were being perpetually started..
              In part due to my ever changing working schedule - but primarily because when I see pretty pictures of aquariums, my plans change. A couple tanks have succumb to me being a bonehead and cracking them moving around hardscape(a major bummer for the last tank).

As far as checking for phosphate, API and other manufacturers make test kits that will do you right.

API
              Welcome to API Fishcare: Phosphate Test Kit

ELOS
              Wateranalysis > Analisi > ELOS

There are other brands, just make sure that they specify compatibility with Freshwater.

Comment

What ppm should they be around?

Comment

Working...
                X