Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an electron micrographic image at a 3D angle with some false color applied..

A home SEM is possible but people like me, OF and Chill have so much competing for our attention as it is that we would likely mire ourselves in such a project happily.

It's an ADD/HD nerd thing.
    "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Looks like a sea monster. Makes you think twine about putting my hands in the water.
      sigpic"We build the worlds best co2 systems, one at a time"

Comment

Got some more for you folks. Have been battling the new tank algae blues here, and got some samples of a very prolific hair algae that's growing in my tank:

at 200x - notice the thicker strand of colonial diatoms on the right hand side.

At around 400 x - looks like there is even some type of phytoplankton in there with it

Some more nice healthy strands

Comment

Those look like euglenas and one rotifer. An entire universe in a drop of water.
          "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

They kinda did in shape, but they weren't wormin around like the videos of euglenas that I'd seen before. They stayed perfectly in shape, and kind of tumbled around. Never seen these before in my tank.

Comment

My guess after doing some quick googlefoo is Chromalveolata diatoms

Comment

One day there will be Lego shaped diatoms and on that day, life on this planet will be changed forever. Talk about green architecture, oy!

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Working...
                X