What is this stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this stuff?

This is my 10 gallon dirted tank. It's been up for about 3 months and this stuff just started to show up. I haven't had much growth on the plants but I just changed the lights last week. I have the lights on for about 10 hours a day and I don't run co2. Can you tell me what this is and how to get rid of it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

It's either the standard fungus that comes in on wood which goes away on its own after a few weeks or it is the beginnings of brush algae which happens when conditions fluctuate a lot. The lack of carbon supplementation is likely the culprit. The same for your lack of growth.

Try scaling your photoperiod back to 8 hours. Make sure the substrate is well fertilized and consider carbon supplementation and as ever, make sure you got lots of good flow.
    "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

I switched my non-CO2 tank over to a staggered light schedule. 4 hrs on, 4 off, 4 on, then off for the night. I also use a liquid CO2 supplementation every day. My algae is almost gone other than some diatoms on the sand.
      Retired tanks - 125 gal, 75 gal bichir tank

Comment

Originally posted by chillplants View Post
        I switched my non-CO2 tank over to a staggered light schedule. 4 hrs on, 4 off, 4 on, then off for the night. I also use a liquid CO2 supplementation every day. My algae is almost gone other than some diatoms on the sand.
        We need to add a Google+ widget or similar so I could give that a +1 and a +2 on Sundays.
        "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Working...
        X