Cladophora Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cladophora Suggestions

Curious about other's experiences with this algae. I have never had it until recently. It must have been introduced when I added some plants from Pisces. I did notice algae in their plant tanks, but I thought I did a good job of cleaning the plants and giving them an inspection.

I first started noticing a few little strands on some of my rocks. Now I am notices patches. I spot treated them with hydrogen peroxide. I am debating on getting more amano shrimp, but they are expensive. There are a few places I can order them online, but with shipping it will still be expensive. I have about 8 now.

Everything I have read says this algae is like the herpes of the planted tank world. Once you get it you pretty much are going to be fighting it forever. I have read some forums that say nothing eats it and others say that amano shrimp will but you need a big population. A lot of these topics I am finding are older and maybe there are better solutions since then.

I have various mosses (fissidens fontanus, riccardia chamedryfolia mini pellia, fontinalis antipyretica) that I understand is sensitive to excel treatment and I have pumpkin shrimp and amano shrimp that are sensitive as well.

I thought perhaps I was adding too much iron fert, but it doesn't seem to be linked to that according to my research.

I do EI fert schedule for a 65g heavily planted aquarium. I have CO2 injection controlled by a pH controller set for 6.8. My KH is about 8. GH is high at around 120mg/L. My lighting is 3 T5HO fixtures that have 2 bulbs in each fixture at 6500k. I have turned off the middle one worrying that perhaps with this new algae outbreak I should reduce the light. The lights are set for 10hr on an automated timer. I also have lots of flow in the tank with several small powerheads.

Has anyone discovered a solution that works? Any thoughts on adding a bunch more amano shrimp?

Clado is easily managed once you get a grasp of it. Manual removal and focusing your efforts on growing the plants to the best of your ability is your best fighting chance. By allowing the plants to grow well they will battle the algae via an invisible chemical war.

Keep the filters really clean,manual removal,water changes,good co2 and nutrients for plants and time will heal.
    The Planted Aquarium Blog

Comment

Working...
    X