help with green stuff growing in my substrate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with green stuff growing in my substrate

Hi I have a rescaped tank with some rotala and gloss. I dose K and iron (at rec levels), Use RO water, Aquaray 400 led tile running at 85%, GLA CO2, ADA substrate. I have one beta and 5 ottos living in there. I am having issues with this green stuff growing in the substrate (it even pearl). How would you recommend to treat it?. I can spot treat it with peroxide, and then what else.

I have several things I can do:

Dial up CO2 (not much room before i reach the gassing point.
    Dial up my lights, currently at 85% intensity. (my gloss was getting growth up, so I did a big trim and want to see how the new growth do)
    Dial up nutrients (my rotala came yellowish, right now is growing bright green)

Thoughts are appreciated.

Just went back into some other posts it looks like BGA. Measured Nitrates is at 0. Still thoughts....
    Thanks
    Last edited by Trujillp090868; 04-03-2015, 02:37 PM.

Comment

BGA I find does not exist with EI level dosing and low O2 in my experience. Lots of O2 at night or adding extra circulation in the are can rid the tank overnight. Id dial up O2 and Kno3.
      The Planted Aquarium Blog

Comment

Friends tank had this. Early on. Crank up co2 and buy a lot of amano shrimp. I tend to have algae issues only when I don't have a solid dozen or more amanos

Comment

Excel dosing might help you out with this as well. In past experience with BGA, spot treating with peroxide works, but it usually comes back somewhere else. BGA can hide just under the top layer of substrate, so treating the whole system tends to be more effective. Also - the recommendation to bump up O2 at night, and increase KNO3 is probably a good idea. Increasing flow to that area couldn't hurt either, as cyanobacteria does not like rapid flow.

Comment

BGA is a bacteria so products like Melafix will kill it.
            125 gallon

Comment

Originally posted by UDGags View Post
              BGA is a bacteria so products like Melafix will kill it.

This is true, but it can also significantly impact the beneficial bacteria in the tank. I would only dose melafix to a system as a last resort.

Comment

Originally posted by onefang View Post
                This is true, but it can also significantly impact the beneficial bacteria in the tank. I would only dose melafix to a system as a last resort.
                Here here! That's the nuclear option, the last resort. Spot cleaning, vacuuming, adjusting your lights, checking CO2, altering your culture and improving flow patterns are the best things to do. I'd start with flow after doing a brief tidy.
                "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Working...
                X