Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm seriously considering a 3D printer...thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, another 2-3 years. They're building up momentum really fast. I'd say this is the breakout year, the peak is coming.

An honorable mention, the Ultimaker 2.
    "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Here is an interesting article. I should mention that 3d has been the talk lately at GLA, mainly because of this thread.
      Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects
      sigpic"We build the worlds best co2 systems, one at a time"

Comment

Oh yes! I don't even have a printer yet and I've already lost hours to the Thingiverse .
        "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Thats too funny because I spent my whole breakfast,lunch and now dinner on Thingiverse. Watching the new ideas pop up everyday is a lot of fun. It gets your head going thats for sure. I found that breakfast is the most impactful(sp) time because its all we talk about the rest of the day!

The debate now is who and where is the first printer going to reside. Home or office? If at home we waste time at home, no problem. If at work nobody gets anything done.

Comment

Good morning!

A chance to win a free 3d printer just arrived in our mail!
            http://www.stratasys.com/~/media/Mai...0-13%20Web.pdf

Comment

Nice!

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

But wait, what about 4D? 4D Printing on the Rise | 3D Printing content from Machine Design

Comment

Now why'd you have to go and do that, for ?

Decisions, decisions...

Originally posted by Marco View Post

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Life just got more complicated.

...great, another innovation hits the market thoroughly overwhelming me with choice.

From Computer World:
                    Review: The new Da Vinci all-in-one 3D scanner/printer | Computerworld

Despite build quality or build volume, having an integrated 3D scanner sounds like da bomb. I expect more expert reviews will be forthcoming. At $800 it sounds almost too good to be true so as long as it is durable with a nice long service life and scheduled maintenance doesn't have to be too often.

This guy, Lucas Mearian, seems to think it's okay. Fully enclosed, not loud, machinery is protected and hardly any odor when working. I like that it can use either ABS or PLA filament. No dual print heads so no dual color printing, not that I care about that; It's a nice to have, not a need to have. It has a resolution smaller than my favorite technical pens, .1 mm.

Here's a video of the scanner in action:

Scannable objects can't be any smaller than 2 inches but no greater than 6. The scanner has a problem with objects that are shiny, clear or have high contrast colors. Disappointing but not a showstopper.

It is produced by XYZPrinting in Taiwan.

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Wow! $800 sounds almost to good to be true. With the ability to use 2 filaments without dual print heads is incredible. I would think the scanner aspect is going to be the best. But as you mentioned with shiny objects reflecting back to the source is a bummer. At $800 though you can always paint your shiny object or dull it it some way if all your looking to do is recreate.

I also notices how quiet the printer was, I believe it was running while he was speaking yes?
                      The Planted Aquarium Blog

Comment

It was, yes! And given how loudly all aquarists whine when a canister filter has only the slightest hum, this is an important feature .

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

As someone who works with 3D printers daily, I'll lend you some advice, hold off on any ABS or PLA printers. You'll see a giant leap in quality over the next 6-12 months.

Most of the Consumer Level printers are extremely loud, and take hours to build basic objects.

Comment

That's something that nearly cooled me off on the idea, but I continue to keep my ears open.

What I have seen that has obsessed me distraction are sintered metal printers .

If you have any other insider information or advice, please let us know. I'm already dreaming up lists of thing I could make for myself. Bearings, washers, gaskets, impellers, needle wheels, housings of all kinds, custom tank rims, all kinda stuff.

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Metal printers are extremely expensive and right now your not getting the level of quality you'd hope to expect. (Always look at build examples and inspect every axis X,Y,Z)

You'd be better off buying an ABS, PLA, or even an SLA printer to make the item you want, clean it up to make mold a then cast in another material. I know ABS and PLA are great for larger items that are less detailed items. SLA is where you can get super crazy with the detail. These are the printers we use to make all of our prototypes.

Comment

Working...
                              X