What Jeff does when he has too much time and anubias on his hands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Jeff does when he has too much time and anubias on his hands

Put my old 20 gallon to good use this afternoon! Some of the plants are old but most are freshly snipped out of my 95 gallon

August 19, 2014

January 3, 2015

Forgive me on the quality of the photo

I trimmed 29 little plants from my main tank, each were at least 5-10 leaves and it looks like I didn't make a dent in the mass of anubias at all.

I mainly set this up just for fun and see where it will be when I'm back from Ireland studying abroad next semester. It'll be a solid 4 months of growth that I will update you guys with.
    Last edited by jkan0228; 02-06-2015, 11:27 AM.
    First Planted 95G
    Mr. Aqua 11.4 Crypts and Shrimp
    Originally posted by onefang
    Sometimes not doing anything is the best thing you can do.

Cool! So it will be all alone for 4 months?
    The Planted Aquarium Blog

Comment

Originally posted by AquaZilla View Post
      Cool! So it will be all alone for 4 months?
      Well I made a lid today out of a sheet of polycarbonate that pretty much seals it 100%, maybe mist a few squirts once every week or two? Nothing my dad can't handle. The only thing that he needs to take note of is to add a few ml of macro nutrients from my PPS-Pro solution when the squirt bottle runs out. I changed it to this 20G not only because I had no other use for it but also because the previous setup was a simple plastic storage container that was hard to view. So with this setup everything is nice, clean and visible.

4 months of growth should see decent growth but when I compared photos of my previous plants, I didn't realize that the growth was over a period of almost a year! My first photo taken was in September 2013 and I had just sold these in July/August 2014 so I'm trying to not keep my hopes high in afraid of disappointment in growth.
      First Planted 95G

Comment

We will await your 4 month progress report. Should be very interesting

Comment

Are these planted in Aquasoil? Does the moss at the bottom of the tank serve any purpose?
          I can't wait to see these in 4 months.
          Retired tanks - 125 gal, 75 gal bichir tank

Comment

Originally posted by chillplants View Post
            Are these planted in Aquasoil? Does the moss at the bottom of the tank serve any purpose?
            I can't wait to see these in 4 months.
            Yes they're planted in Aquasoil.

The moss is just some emersed moss I couldn't get myself to throw away so I kinda just stashed them at the bottom
            First Planted 95G

Comment

Carpet the soil with moss in some of the pots. Looks good and will grow like a mad carpet and have no affect on Anubias. Then in 4 months when you return you will have fancy expensive nana pots I did say it would look cool right?

Comment

That's how I used them before. I had them in pots with crypts but personally I prefer the cleaner look. This moss doesn't grow too compact when emersed so it makes the pots look messy
                First Planted 95G

Comment

Its going to a cool 4 month surprise. Who knows what will be waiting for you

Comment

Okay so I lied about the 4 month update.. I sold the rest of the bigger ones so all the plants now are small ones. Some pots have two plants and some lava rocks have two plants glued on.

First Planted 95G

Comment

Hey, thats fine. When you come back all the small ones will be huge ones

Comment

Hey O (and anyone else reading this thread), how important is it to have the roots submerged in water? Or does it matter? As of right now I have pretty much no standing water in this setup.

I recently saw this video (not sure how to embed it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bK_kfbLN3M

I was planning on doing something similar. I like how the air stone keeps the air circulating, how the water gives the plants' roots room to grow and how the plants are elevated to grow closer to the light.
                        First Planted 95G

Comment

As long as there is good moisture in the air no need to submerge roots. They just need to be wet/moist. Roots are only for anchoring the plant to keep it from being washed away during a storm. Also for nutrient uptake.

Comment

So with nutrients uptake there's no difference in them being submerged vs. high humidity?

I think I'm going to get one of those cheap humidity gauges and see exactly how humid or not humid it is in this tank. I made the polycarbonate cover so that it fits perfectly so there shouldn't be much room for air to come in (which I guess is a double-edged sword with the air becoming stale)

Edit - Also, would adding water (reducing overall air volume) allow humidity to be easier to raise?
                            First Planted 95G

Comment

You have yours laying in top of substrate which I assume is Aquasoil? This would deb plenty of food I would imagine. However Anubias do extremely well in calcium rich environments. They eat it up!

I think if you have water in the system and its not totally evaporating you should have plenty of humidity. Temperature is whats important here.

Your going to be gone for 4 months, so your soil will need to provide. The roots will find what they need in your substrate. Do you use tablets or anything?

Comment

Working...
                              X