Somewhat unrelated: Sterilizing a pond after losing all fish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat unrelated: Sterilizing a pond after losing all fish

So while this may seem unrelated, I'm thinking it's just an issue of scale....

After all "reputable" stores in the local area closed, I decided to restock my 700G patio pond with Petsmart fish, adding to two older generic LFS koi. After 4 weeks, I'm now down to zero fish, as you can probably guess. Ironically, the same day my shipment of MinnFinn arrived, but too little, too late. I'd already gone progressively through other less-drastic means.

So, now that I can sterilize it for real, and do a muck-out, what's my best way that won't kill off the plants I've got. They're all hardy natives in containers, but I'd rather sterilize the soil as well, and the filter, and just start over.

Is potassium permanganate the best means for this, in heavy doses? I'll follow it with H2O2 from the local hydroponics guys. Figured bleach would be too hard on the plants, especially in the concentration I'm planning.

Was planning to hold the pond at >6ppm for a couple of days, rinse and repeat. Anyone have experience in this?

Thats to bad. I have no experience in sterilizing a pond due to a mass die off. We have seen where pesticides were introduced from rain runoff. In this case the entire pond was eliminated as the owner did not want to risk it all over again. Hopefully somebody will be able to get you pointed in the right direction.
    The Planted Aquarium Blog

Comment

Luckily, this pond is elevated above ground level so that can't be a cause of this. It's a mix of fungus, flukes and other stuff I'm sure. Researching on it now; trick is finding PP in this market.

Comment

Would it be possible to move the plants to one of your tanks or a kiddie pool in full sunlight while you bomb the pond with a copper preparation? Maybe ask a local chemist how long it takes for the copper in such a preparation to be metabolized and deactivate?

Mind you, even if all the copper settles out, you can't drain that water off without killing off your lawn & garden unless this local chemist knows something. A local vet might be able to answer this as well.

Just a thought.
        "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Everything I'm finding says that PP is the way to go for this. There are a few good protocols for it.

Where are you guys buying it when you need it for snail dipping? I've got some coming in via Amazon but it's driving me nuts that I keep getting the blank stare when I ask water filtration places and hardware stores, and even the survivalist / prepper supply places have no idea what I'm referring to. Sad that I know more about the uses of it than the people who should be using it.

Comment

Sears used to sell it near their water softener stuff. I use "jungle clear" for dipping, as it's basically just dilute potassium permanganate. You'd need a lot more than that for 700G though

Comment

Yeah, they used to sell it at the hardware store in Veneta for use in iron filtering water softeners. You've got it everywhere in your area. That's what's driving me nuts here.

Comment

Jungle Clear, noted. So would this be a good source for dipping plants for sterilization? Does it affect plants negatively?

Comment

That's what I use for plant dips. Just squirt enough in to make the water nice an purple, soak for 10-15 minutes. I've even dipped moss, fissidens, and they hold up nicely.

Comment

Dually noted!

Comment

Working...
                    X