Looking for nano fish ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for nano fish ideas

Long time, no see guys. I've been out of the aquarium hobby for a while and thinking of getting my feet wet again. I'm planning on building a plywood paludarium. Tank base will be 5'x2' with islands on the sides, hoping for at least 6" from front glass to islands. Water section will probably be mostly open water with crypts along shore line. The bottom will have approx 6" of water and I was wondering if anyone has some ideas for nano fish that could occupy this area of water.I was originally thinking kuhlii loaches (I love these guys, even got them to breed once before), but I'm not sure if they like this shallow water. Ultimately, I would like something that schools in groups of 10+.
    Water source will be RO/DI with ADA soil.
    Retired tanks - 125 gal, 75 gal bichir tank

Kuhli loaches are cool but they tend to hide when the lights are on or those too much motion. Now lizard loaches are fun! They are active especially at feeding time and regularly do the loachy dance in the evening. Rosy loaches are also very active, very tiny. Of course there are also the other chestnuts like neon tetras and ember tetras. A really cool Characid is the brown pencil fish, the best schooling of the Nannostomus and the least aggressive, in fact, it's not aggressive at all. If you like cories, there are the diminutive habrosus, hastatus and pygmaeus. These are just my favorites.
    "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Nano fish.. some of my favs. Pygmy corydoras would probably do well in that type of environment, but they tend to like a sandy substrate(loaches do to though). I really loved the dwarf pencilfish that I had in my Apistogramma tank. They had tons of character and were really fun to watch fly around like hummingbirds. Any of the microrasboras would work great too.
      I have been eyeballing Sundadanio axelrodi too.. like a tiny swimming disco ball.

Comment

...and don't forget the other micro Rasboras if you love your Barbs! Very colorful!
        "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Lots of good ideas. I like what I've read about Nannostomus. A big school would be fun to watch. Another fish I've always wanted to try is Microrasbora kubotai.
          Retired tanks - 125 gal, 75 gal bichir tank

Comment

Working...
          X