I'm back and have some PAR concerns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back and have some PAR concerns

Hey guys, I dropped out of high tech after a couple kids, just converted back over last month. I'm using a horticultural 4x54 T5HO with parabolic reflector, or corregated I guess, on a 75gl. Battling green fuzz on glass and slower leaves. I'm trying to figure out this lighting calc on Rotala butterfly and I'm getting information back that contradicts where I thought I was at. I've measured the actual water column without glass thickness or rims and I used the average substrate depth. The picture shows all 4 lamps on, if I enter just 2x54w I get PAR 82. 'At Depth' means the substrate/carpet level correct? I always tried to shoot for 60 there. Thoughts?
    Last edited by jaidexl; 01-13-2017, 03:37 PM.

Since this is a new tank to us, could you tell us about your fertilizer regimen and if you inject CO2, and if so, how much? It would also be helpful to know how far above your tank the luminaires are. That could definitely affect your numbers as far as distance from light source to top of the substrate.

Thanks and welcome back!
    "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

EI dosing twice a week, just enough N to stay near 10ppm, 1/8 teaspoon CSM+B, 1/16 teaspoon kh2po4.

Pressurized co2, gla inline diffuser, ~4bps green 4dkh DC at substrate level.

The lamps are 6 inches from the water surface. This is one of the factors in the lighting calculator, even if I raise it 2 feet it still says all four bulbs are way too intense. I'm running just two bulbs today and have some pearling on the plants but not nearly as much, not nearly as much rising through the water, either. It looks kind of dim to me.

Comment

50% water change every week or two, 3dKH from sodium bicarbonate, 7dGH from GLA GH booster.

Comment

Here are some tank shots with all four lamps running 8hrs a day since startup. DC is in the lower left now.

Last edited by jaidexl; 01-13-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Wow! Very nice and thanks for the thorough details. Now, let's start looking at each variable one at a time and make small changes to see what might be causing it. Since you do EI and you are a high light enthusiast, I would suggest maybe turning off two of the lamps but it sounds like you've done that just yesterday, if I've read you correctly.

Let's see if the reduction in the amount of light slows or eliminates the algae's growth. The plants sound like they're responding well already.
            "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Sounds good, I'm feeling more confident today since I came home from work and found rotala covered in diamonds as usual, even S. repens is pearling on the floor, so clearly the two lamps are enough. The tank is more pleasing to look at with less bubbles in the water column and stuck on glass.

I once grew massive, bright zoanthids with an equivalent tech light, not sure why I assumed I needed that much this time. Male version of mommy brain, maybe.

So my most recent changes are:

-Reduced light 50%, plants reacting very well.

-Increased co2 since moving drop checker down, fish are all out and happy.

-Swapped 20 big, nervous rummynose out for 13 happy neons. Besides creating an atmosphere where I falsely read gas stress on certain fish, not plant related, but man is the tank something to look at now. Go back and look at the pictures and see if you can find 23 rummynose lol.

Current livestock :

13 neons
              12 Black bar Endler boys
              4 Bolivian rams
              11 Otos getting very large
              3 juvenile SAEs
              Small but growing population of Ramshorn snails

Forgot to add my substrate, it's inert heavy grain quartz sand, probably sold as an aggregate for pool plaster or grout because they had samples in different shades and sizes. I think granusil is the name, I have it listed somewhere here probably. Nothing special but holds plants better than soilmaster select.

Comment

One other change, backed light period down to 7 hours. I actually started the redo at 6.5hrs, then ramped up to 8 and saw the greatest green fuzz growth.

Comment

Originally posted by jaidexl View Post
                  One other change, backed light period down to 7 hours. I actually started the redo at 6.5hrs, then ramped up to 8 and saw the greatest green fuzz growth.
                  ...that was going to be my next suggestion. I think you got this .

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

Last nights water change and an hour after lights on with the new background.

Wife's best friend is in town tonight so she won't let me do a full trim, you can see mega green fuzz on the C helferi and the first two thirds of the substrate starting from the left. Nothing about this is stressing me though because I know all those Otos love everything that comes with it, Endlers like picking at it and perhaps the SAEs are eating some of it.

That side of the tank is by a window, and is the farthest point of travel for the CO2. I have a second filter to go on the opposite end and think it'll really help diffusion.

Comment

Working...
                    X