No announcement yet.

My mangrove tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy crap! Is the city's water source that bad that they need to nuke it? Crazy!
    "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

• I think it was very considerate of them to provide me with nitrogen for my tank at an acceptable pH!

Comment

• Galleria de la sexangula

Comment

• It's glorious like a cock's comb! Or a cockatoo's crest!
          "You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

• Got a fun new toy, underwater LED strip for a couple extra hours of viewing pleasure per night

Comment

• Comment

• I've been looking forward to adding this for a while now: Sargassum!

Comment

• The real thing! I bet it'll get nice & orange in no time. Now the big question: Will the overgrowth that you collect from this fine macro-algae end up as salad? I understand it's a bit like arugula.

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Comment

• I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If I can get it to grow I'll be happy, it's an advanced level difficulty for this one. I hope it likes my tank! I think it should, it grows in shallow water so it prefers the intense reds that my LEDs provide.

Comment

• Along with the Sargassum, I decided to try my hand with some ulva lettuce, I've got it wedged in the rock, we'll see how it does.

Comment

• Hey guys it's been a long time, sorry about that. Life is busy yada yada. Anyway, here is one of my orange mangroves (Bruguiera cylindrica) that I'm growing outside of the tank. It has taken on the characteristic knee roots of orange mangroves so that is pretty cool. I hope all is well with everyone. I'll try to get more pics up soon!

Stem

Root flare - knee roots

Comment

• More pics to come
                          Last edited by NDmangrove; 02-02-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Here is an orange mangrove in my aquarium. I love its shape! It also has a couple prop roots which is rare in orange mangroves!

Comment

• For some reason my links get distorted when I try to embed a picture

Comment

• Here's a little clearer shot of the roots. There's actually one older prop root in the substrate and a younger one that is dropping

Comment

Working...
                                X